Saturday 20 March 2010

Forcing myself to listen to music

Joy is a big motivator and I don't experience enough of it. Recently I've been trying to think of the kinds of things I'd be doing if I wasn't depressed and forcing myself to do them. Listening to music is one of those things.

I haven't listened to music much since 1993 but, after two years of psychotherapy, anti Ds, exercise, meditation, healthy eating and general squeaky clean living, my depression's receded just enough that I can enjoy it again. I've even gone as far as compiling a list of favourite tracks in Spottify, next on the list is to download some music onto my mobile - a task that's been three months in the planning.

The problem is I feel guilty doing anything unproductive and most enjoyable activities fall into this category. One way round this is to do two pleasant activities at the same time e.g. knitting whilst listening to music. That cuts down on the amount of time 'wasted' on pleasurable activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment